Yes that’s my big news, and I have absolutely no doubt that this is hands down the best decision I have ever made.
Despite only arriving home this Saturday afternoon from my trip to Europe, I have wanted to live and work in BA, Argentina since my visit there in 2003 when I realised the city had the sophistication of Europe combined with the passion of South America.
Where I drank amazing wine, ate far too much meat and went to a La Boca Juniors soccer match which ended in a mass evacuation of the stadium, armed police, riots and fans trashing the place plus a player getting shot! Here’s proof
So now I have less than 6 weeks to run a Social Media Bootcamp in Vancouver, pull together all the content for it, turn it into an online program for WomanzWorld, tie up loose ends, rent my room, sell my stuff and do some hikes and see some attractions I haven’t yet managed too!
In between that I need to open a new bank account, close up accounts here and find a place to live.
For those of you who know me this intrepid traveller lifestyle is something I adore. I realised in my 6 weeks in Europe that I am made for travel and adventure. I also love the people I get to meet and hang with on my journies. I invite you all to Buenos Aires for a visit!
One thing that never gets easier though as I pack up and leave cities, is leaving behind great friends – be prepared Vancouver for a see ya later party.
I also know that it takes time and energy to set up these networks in a new city. So this time I thought I’d try a different tack.
I’d enlist my friends to come with me
Well enlist is not the right word, convince, cajole, persuade, enthuse perhaps? Turns out people want to go to Buenos Aires. The stars seem to be aligning.
The Ultimate Frisbee crew there apparently need my experience (they haven’t seen me play yet so they may regret that …) and they’ve been super helpful.
The one person I really wanted to introduce myself to there who’s a super successful entrepreneur with an awesome site called Mixergy has already emailed!
Yep connections are an amazing thing. A good friend here who kept wanting to intro me to her boyfriend (how many women say `You must meet my boyfriend, you two would just get on so well’?), well he just happens to know Andrew Warner so made the intro – problem solved!
There’s apparently a vibrant expat network there, regular dinners and a bunch of cool people.
On top of that this posse of people I mentioned it to is growing, here’s exerpts of an intro email I made today (hope the people don’t mind being posted here)
‘Let me introduce you all to each other. Sebastian (Sabu) is a rocking guy currently doing his MBA and looking to come to Buenos Aires with some other MBA mates in December for around a month to live.
Tia is a life coach and cool lady who is looking to head to BA late November or December for several months and we’ve been discussing sharing an apartment.
Jeff is just a superstar marketer and all round good person living in Toronto and just informed me he’s heading to BA for a month Nov 20 to Dec 20 ish.’
To which Tia replied with more BA helpful tips and Jeff with his crowd’s description:
- ‘Micah: World’s leading infusionsoft (email marketing 2.0 software) specialist, wordpress/membership site software developer and expert, and all around bad guy. He is however bringing his beautiful wife (Teresa), so that makes up for his sometimes less than desirable company. He plans on being down there for 2 weeks starting just after American (read fake) Thanksgiving (Nov 25th).
- Tiff: Heads up a little program called Six Minutes to Success, you may have heard of it! If not, you should check it out. It’s an uber successful internet based business, and Tiff is an uber fun time. Not exactly sure her timing in BA as her sister is having a baby in Arizona around Nov 14th and she will bed-side there for that.
- Cherrie: Coolest person on the planet. Period. She is coming down same time as me (Nov 20-Dec 17ish). Then Cherrie and I are nomad-ing our way to Costa Rica for an undecided amount of time.
- Amzi: Born rockstar. She has worked with me, Tiff, and Cherrie for the last few months and is now doing some internet marketing/membership site/live events with the Spanish Tony Robbins. She lives in BA right now and is helping us on the ground to get stuff set up for our trip there.
- Natalie: Coolest Kiwi I’ve ever met. Entrepreneur extraordinaire, social media genius, world traveller! Nuff said.’
You can tell Jeff is a talented marketer from the above.
So plans, they are a shaking.
Oh and if you happen to be in Banff and Jasper late September come join Lisa (coming from UK to visit) and I or if you’re going to be in Toronto and Montreal late September early October let me know (my first ever visit).
Then again if you’re in Vegas Mid October or early November I’ll be there, and if you’re in LA last two weeks of October see you around ;0
For all you other travellers tips are welcomed. Suggestions that I’ve lost my mind are not!